logo_abbeville-passionTRANSPARENT.png

Search
 
Close
History
The Streets
Visits

 52772 visitors

 6 visitors online

Newsletter
To receive news about this website, consider subscribing to our Newsletter.
DDZ3fF
copy the code :
38 Subscribers

BANNIERE-Bibliotheque.png

123.png

     église - Copie.jpeg                                       IMG_4808 - Copie.JPG        

     First small chapel of sailors built in the Roman period, in the XIth century on the lands of the "Domus" (fortified house) of the Lord of Mautort, this small church has been reworked many times over the centuries and Different seigneuries before becoming the seigneurial church to which the families Tillette de Mautort and Clermont Tonnerre have borne much interest.


     It is in 1197 that the notion of parish appears for the first time in a charter of the chapter of the cathedral of Amiens. The original nave, in Romanesque style and oriented towards the village of Cambron, was enhanced in the 14th century, when the tower tower was built on one side of the transept. On the other side, the chapel of the Virgin is also of Romanesque style. The choir, more recent, presents some characteristics of flamboyant Gothic. Next to it, the chapel Saint Pierre named after Pierre Tillette, its founder and under which is the sepulchral vault of the Tillette families of Mautort and Clermont Tonnerre. A statue of Saint Sylvin proudly stands proudly nearby.


At the revolution, the parish of Mautort was attached to that of Cambron. In 1791, Jean-Baptiste Adrien Tillette granted himself the church and its cemetery in order to preserve the family burial.

Mautort 015.JPG                mautort 018.JPG
In 1804, the church became annexed to Cambron and in 1873, the mayor of Cambron, then Louis Tillette of Clermont Tonnerre ceded the church to the municipality of Abbeville while keeping the family vault.


The church has suffered little from the two world wars, which means that it will not be classified, but in 2013, the statue of the Virgin Mary was stolen by church robbers. Its location remains desperately empty to this day.   

IMG_4810 - Copie.JPG

  Who was Saint Sylvin?


    A native monk of the Toulouse region, courtier of King Theuderic III, king of the Franks of Neustria between 673 and 691, son of Clovis II and Queen Bathilde. Sylvin left the court when he was about to marry, in order to undertake several pilgrimages to the Holy Land and then to Rome. He was consecrated bishop and decided to evangelize the region of the Morins (Morinii) which is located in the North of Belgian Gaul. He died in Artois on 15 February 717 in Auchy les Moines. The monks of this abbey had urged those of Saint-Riquier to come to the funeral of the apostle of the morins. Every year at Mautort there was a pilgrimage in his honor on February 15th.


Creation date : 23/07/2016 02:32
Category : Heritage - Churches
Page read 1098 times


Reactions to this article

Reaction #1 

by Laurence 29/04/2017 18:26

Super. Toutes les recherches sont très intéressantes.

Copyright
Images and texts are not royalty-free.

If you want to use one of the photos or texts on the site, do not hesitate to contact us and explain how you intend to use them.