logo_abbeville-passionTRANSPARENT.png

Search
 
Close
History
The Streets
Visits

 52771 visitors

 5 visitors online

Newsletter
To receive news about this website, consider subscribing to our Newsletter.
Laanw
copy the code :
38 Subscribers

BANNIERE-Bibliotheque.png

123.png

The Bourdois was originally built in 1367, shortly after the present Belfry and served to the municipal assemblies whence the name of little Schévinage (small town hall). It was there that the power of the edicts was exercised.


Photo pending authorization


The clock fixed on this building was the very first clock installed in Abbeville in the 15th century, around 1480.
The building was then redone and the following picture shows it as it was in 1669.


Photo pending authorization
 

In 1730, the belfry was demolished and replaced by another.
In 1753, a balcony was added over which appeared the arms of the King, the Count of Ponthieu and the city. Let us recall that it was here, on July 1, 1766, that Chevalier La Barre was executed. Nowadays, on the place now become Max Lejeune, a plaque recalls this fact at the very place of execution.
In 1780, it was rebuilt. It was occupied only by the people of the Presidial (Court of Justice of the Ancien Régime) and of the town hall on the market days where the bonfires were lit and the days of " execution.


Photo pending authorization
 

The Bourdois sheltered the library of the city until 1813 to make then place to "Justice of Peace" then the police station settled there from 1871 until the fateful date of May 20, 1940 when the Bourdois disappeared forever, annihilated by the bombardments .


Creation date : 23/03/2017 23:37
Category : Heritage - Monuments
Page read 534 times


Reactions to this article

Nobody gave a comment yet.
Be the first to do so!

Copyright
Images and texts are not royalty-free.

If you want to use one of the photos or texts on the site, do not hesitate to contact us and explain how you intend to use them.